Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,658
Like?
Interesting Update on D300 Damage: Changing Lens w/ Power On
Oct 30, 2012

Hi Troops: When I can share an experience that is educational, informative and otherwise compelling with you all I will do so even at the expense of self embarrasment. With regard to this post - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50044191 - about my thoughts of alleged D300 damage from recently changing my Sigma 150-500 lens with the D300 body power on, I contacted C.R.I.S. Camera Services in Chandler, AZ (an authorized Nikon and Sigma service center) again to ascertain more detail about what really happened as a result of their analysis. I had authorized them to perform the repair ($143) but really did not know what the problem was. The tech who investigated the problem initially responded as follows: "the removal of your lens (with the D300 power on) had nothing to do with the problem that we can tell at this time. The problem is one of the CF card pins has pushed through to the DC/DC convertor (power supply) creating a short. Consequently some voltages are not being supplied to some areas of the circuit".

This analysis makes sense to me since the symptoms of the camera (after the lens changing incident with the power on) was that it would not meter right (very low) and could not focus (it was constantly hunting like there was poor light even though I was trying to use it in bright daylight) - perhaps because it did not have the proper system voltage to function correctly.

So, some of you might say, "I told you so; changing lenses with the power on is not a problem." My response is that's fine if you feel that way. However Nikon strongly suggests not to do it.

The real learning experience here for me is not to be forceful or overly hasty when inserting CF cards back into the body. I admit to being a little nonchalant about just "shoving" the CF cards into the camera body. I shall be much more careful going forward.

I simply wanted to share the outcome of this whole experience with you as a way to give back to the forum community. Be careful. Regards, Jim F.

Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow