Which ultra wide angle lens for Venice (or do I actually need one)?

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tamasine
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Which ultra wide angle lens for Venice (or do I actually need one)?
Oct 30, 2012

Hi everyone

I have been using my D90 with 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 for the past two years and love the lens for its image quality, build, and portability.

I'll be going for a few days to Venice next year and was thinking that perhaps I should get a UWA lens for the amazing canal views, for example.  Reading a couple of web articles the photographer does recommend using a wide-angle lens.

Now, there are two things (three, if you include the price!) that make me hesitant about this idea:

1. Will a UWA be anywhere as good as my 16-85 for image quality?  I've read a few reviews of the various UWA lenses and none 'seem' as good as the 16-85

2. Will I be using a UWA after Venice?  Sometimes I do wish the 16-85 was actually a 10-50, since I nearly always use the lens at its widest focal length.

The lenses in my price range are:

1. Sigma 10-20mm f4 - f5.6 EX DC HSM

2. Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 SP AF

3. Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X124 PRO DX II

4. Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX

If I don't buy a UWA lens I am 90% sure I can get by with my 16-85.  However, if I do get a UWA lens that is really good, I might end up using that more of the time.

Do you guys use a UWA when on holiday/vacation and if so, which one?  How do these compare in IQ to the very good 'standard' zooms, like the 16-85mm?

Any advice, experience and suggestions would be much appreciated - thanks

Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow