Conundrum selecting new D800 RAW Converter

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fred Briggs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007Gear list
Like?
Re: Conundrum selecting new D800 RAW Converter
In reply to Cliff Fujii, Oct 30, 2012

Cliff Fujii wrote:

If you choose to store the settings in a database, your going to have issues when you copy the images to another computer. I use Lightroom 4.2 only for DAM. I prefer to keep the settings changes in the NEF and I don't like sidecar files.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

A good point - though it is of course possible to export a specific folder as a catalog to use on another computer, or even copy the whole catalog over. Even if your image locations change on the new machine it is relatively easy to reconnect the catalog folders to the new locations so I think overall LR is very manageble in this respect.

I do this when I work on newly captured images on my laptop while on vacation, and then export to integrate into my main PC catalog when I get home, though I have to say I have had some problems with getting this to work properly in the past.

Lightroom also has a backup facility which means you can backup your full catalog to a network folder on another machine for security in the event of hard drive failure.

Where it falls down in my opinion is that two or more people can only share working on the same catalog by the clumsy expedient of exporting a catalog folder. The full catalog cannot be shared and used by two people simultaneously as network locations for the catalog and multi-user working are not supported.

I think this is the next big area for Adobe to develop the product. Keep the previews local but allow the lightweight catalog data to be accessed from a network share and implement some form of locking to allow multiple users to use simultaneously. Maybe they should port it to a type of SQL database which would support this, though knowing Adobe they would then probably label it the "Pro" version and charge twice as much for it!

Fred

Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow