K-30 a compelling reason for E-M5 price reduction?

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,418Gear list
Like?
Re: K-30 a compelling reason for E-M5 price reduction?
In reply to sderdiarian, Oct 30, 2012

If I were in the market for a APS format DSLR, Pentax' and Sony's offerings would probably be on the top of my list, and I always recommend people to take a good look at their models, especially the K-5ii, but personally I bought into micro Four Thirds because I was tired of the bulk of my DSLR setup, and as such I'm not swayed by Pentax' new offering.

Rather, it highlights how strong competition the languishing Four-Thirds system has, even if Olympus makes good on their half-promises of making a E-5 successor. Personally, I think that the only way to keep Four Thirds relevant is to integrate it with the micro Four Thirds system. The basis for such a camera isn't necessarily a hybrid-AF EVF based camera. It could also theoretically be done with camera based around an adapter with a electronic mirror/beam-splitter. ...But now I'm going off on a tangent.

Point was, that I don't think the Pentax will influence micro-four thirds sale that much. In my uneducated opinion, it may postpone some people from moving away from the APS format (to either mirrorless or 135 format), or it may woo people considering other APS DSLR options, but the E-M5 and GH3 are both sufficiently different that I don't see people seriously considering either those or the Pentax.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow