X-E1 as first "proper" camera - does this make sense?

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bort123
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
X-E1 as first "proper" camera - does this make sense?
Oct 30, 2012

Let me explain first:

I've wanted to start taking photography more "serious" (if that's the right word) for some time now. I have spent significant time to read into the topic.

Also, I am very lazy. I need a camera that forces me to go manual mode. I have used a Canon S90 for some years now (which back then was among the first pocketable cameras with manual controls), and it basically never left auto mode. It's to fiddly. Every time I want to change something I need to dig it out of some menu.

I have also played around for a weekend with a friends DLSR (entry level Canon), and while it was quite encouraging, it did not really give me the immediate feedback I was expecting (probably that's down to OVF vs. EVF) - meaning I did not know what I was doing.

My idea is to spend a bit of cash on a camera and 1-2 lenses and then "learn by doing" (probably will take a course as well, let's see).

Now the X-E1 strikes me as a perfect camera for this: the dedicated dials & EVF should make it very understandable (and that's important for me) how the change of settings affects the outcome.

I also understand that I would be spending quite a serious chunk of money on a "hunch" - duly noted.

I would appreciate some feedback - do I make sense?

Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback,

Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow