Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alleg1
Contributing MemberPosts: 516Gear list
Like?
Re: Advice sought from experienced photogs
In reply to Pasmia, Oct 30, 2012

Pasmia wrote:

TLDR @ the end.

I've been into photography and M43 for about a year now. Went from a GF2 to a G3 and from using the 14-42 to 14-45, 50/1.8 MD, and 45-200 and now shooting exclusively with my p14, pl25, and o45 (FF equivs of 28, 50, 90)

I've been generally happy with this last three lens setup until recently. I've been feeling really limited by these lenses but feel that I can't live without them either. I also feel kind of complacent with my photos. During the first nine months or so, there was a steady increase in the quality of my photos. For the past 3 months, my photos seem kind of droll and lifeless.

I keep practicing different forms of techniques and composition and constantly looking for leading lines and repetitive patterns but as the old saying goes, "the grass is always greener," and everyone else's photos look better. I have a friend that got into photography at the same time as me. He bought a canon DSLR and simply shoots away with his 50/1.8 and kit lens. All of his photos just seem to pop out regardless of composition. I thought of it as being due to the bigger sensor and the subject-background isolation. This made me consider swapping out systems.

So I went ahead and checked out images of the larger sensor mirrorless cameras (I want to stick w/ mirrorless) and I was wowed by the IQ of Fujifilm's X mount. I immediately started researching how much I could get for my gear and how much Fujifilm gear I could get in return.

Well, when I started shopping and looking at the prices and reviews on the Fujifilm 35mm, I came across some comparisons with Panasonic/Leica 25mm. My jaw dropped and shattered on the floor. I started looking at more pictures of the PL25 and eventually the Oly 45 as well. The wow factor is in M43 just as much as it is any other system (in my eyes) and I think the problem lies behind the camera.

TLDR:
Needless to say, I've decided to stick it out (with M43). But I'm curious if you veterans have ever been stuck in a rut in your photography and what have you done to overcome it? I want to stick it out with M43 because after seeing the images that can be produced with this mount, I still have a lot to learn and I'm fairly certain my lifeless images have nothing to do with my gear. And lastly, apart from buying every highly regarded M43 gear that came out in past couple of months, what can I do to bring back some life into my photos? I really don't want to get into a cycle of replacing gear left and right thinking that new gear will make me a better photographer.

I'm not really able give detailed  help with your recent dissatisfaction with your photos, but I know a number of people who have had the same experience, and they feel that taking a break from photography for a few weeks can help.

If you're not doing it already, why not look at examples of good photography either in Photo guides.. or on the internet.

One thing I've done is to pick a subject, say landscapes, then do a Google Image Search, which will throw up plenty of examples and references and perhaps give you some ideas for improvement.

Your final point is spot on, you are unlikely to solve your problem by replacing  gear, as you say, this is unlikely to make you a better photographer..

Alleg1's gear list:Alleg1's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Olympus E-510
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow