Probably a very dumb question...

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Van Griff
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: Probably a very dumb question...
In reply to Ron E Trees, Oct 30, 2012

Ron E Trees wrote:

I all, I am fairly new to this forum after just purchasing a D600. Before that I have had a Sony A700 and a Nikon D7000. I am pretty much just self taught in any photography skills that I have, and still really have so much to learn!!

This is going to be a dumb question, but I just do not know and I hope someone can help me.

The D600 that I have now is my 2nd one. Nothing was wrong with the first one, but I returned it to get the D600 kit with the 24-85 lens. While I had the first one, we went to a local Arboretum one afternoon and I took some pics. I was using my Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 lens on the D600. I always shoot in RAW mode and develop mostly in Lightroom. Here is one of the pictures I took.

The full size JPEG after being developed in LR is 29.2 MB.

Here is a photo taken with the newer D600 and the kit lens.

Here, the full size JPEG after being developed in LR is 11.2 MB.

Now that I traded for the new D600 with the kit lens, that is what I carry more often just because it is lighter. My RAW files are still somewhere between 25MB-29MB. But when I develop them in LR, the resulting JPEG in generally in the 10MB to 16MB range.

I have made no changes in LR that I know of but looking back at the pictures taken with both camers, it seems that the resulting JPEGs were larger out of the first D600. I am just wondering if anyone might be able to suggest why this is the case. The differences are a different camera and a different lens.

Thanks for any input!

Ron

-- hide signature --

'The question is not what you look at, but what you see'. Henry David Thoreau http://ront.smugmug.com/

Ron

In the preceding images the tree image has a ton of detail in it while the cloud image not so much . . . it would stand to reason that the tree image would be a much larger file . . . more detail . . . means larger files.

Best,

VG

Van Griff's gear list:Van Griff's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow