Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,672Gear list
Like?
D600, 5D3 pics (lots) and observations
Oct 30, 2012

A friend (doctor) kindly loaned me his brand new D600 with 24-85 VR kit lens. I think he wants to sell it to me, he is actually happy with his D90, it was an impulse buy. Anyways, I wanted to compare few things.

Much talked about color/tone

Shadow lifting

High ISO noise

General feel of the output

I am not going to compare the cameras. I won't compare detail rendition/sharpness etc as this lens is not one of Nikon's better lenses. 24-70V2 is used with 5D3. No sharpening or noise reduction was applied other than Lightroom's default settings for RAW images.

First thing I noticed is that when using AWB in almost 100% of the cases D600 output is cooler and its tint is more towards green compared to 5D3. Here is a typical example, look at the Temperature and Tint sliders.

D600

5D3

This, among other things, obviously affects the way color is rendered by two cameras by default. Few examples below. See if you can tell which camera was used without hovering your mouse over the pictures.

In this pair flower colors are close to real in both, but D600's leaves colors are way off. All LR adjustments set to 0.

Other times though the difference is not as striking (but look at the sky colors). Minimal processing done to match the colors.

I have posted the maximum size allowed by DPR.

So far my early impression is that color/tone wise most of the time both cameras are pretty close (or can be made close in the post), other times they are significantly different and in these cases sometimes D600 gets it right and sometimes 5D3.

Soon I will upload some RAW images in my Skydrive, I will let you know.

Next up is shadow lifting in 'real world'. If you want me to do any specific comparisons, please let me know. I will try. Just bear in mind that I have only one Nikon lens.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow