Would you sell your 70-200 f2.8 VRI for the 70-200 f4 VRIII?

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
bimmerman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363
Like?
I'm keeping mine...
In reply to kayone, Oct 30, 2012

I've recently sold all my Nikon DSLRs and most lenses including the 17-55/2.8 and 16-85VR but for some reason I just can't part with the 70-200VR1. I don't really know why but maybe it's sentimental reasons. I can still use it to shoot film with my F2AS and F4.

Well, other reasons I can't think of is perhaps it is F2.8 and that might offset the advantages of the newer and better VR3 to some extent. Also, F2.8 can afford you higher shutter speeds against the F4 and we all know VR3 is still not telekinesis and does nothing for moving subjects.

While the VR1 is not as light as the new 70-200/f4, it's lighter than the f2.8VR2 to some extent. Oh, and it does not focus breathe like the VR2. And how about Bokeh? It's definitely better with F2.8.

Downsides, yes, it's not that sharp at F2.8 and really shines only at F4 and better still at F5.6 and that would be advantage 70-200/f4 for it's portability. But I wonder if the new lens is tack sharp at maximum aperture.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow