Nikon's new V2 - thoughts

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,987Gear list
Like?
Re: re: rubbish arguments will not make the issue to go away :)
In reply to Jorginho, Oct 30, 2012

Jorginho wrote:

30 2.8 translates into f4.2 when it comes to DOF. 1.2 on the Nikon translates into f3.3 on the Nikon. So the Nikon is 2/3 of a stop faster I think. Light gathering remains of course the same, so you can shoot with over 2 stops advantage on the Nikon if it is sharp wide open. I think all in al IQ between the two would be pretty close...."think"..."owuld""..."should"...""if"....We'll have to wait and see!

Light gathering is the same over the same sensor area, but since we're talking two different sensors, either you have the same resolution and the smaller sensor is a lot noisier (due to higher pixel density and less photons per photosite), or the resolution is a lot lower.  So, it's not quite the same.    With the larger sensor, you should be able to pull in more total light (as in more photons).

There is no free lunch.  If there is a free lunch, I'll just use my phone camera and leave the bulkier ones at home.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow