Can firmware hacks change the shortcomings of the D600 or is it crippled by hardware?

Started Oct 10, 2012 | Questions thread
Denis of Whidbey Island
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?
Re: Can firmware hacks change the shortcomings of the D600 or is it crippled by hardware?
In reply to TypeMRT, Oct 29, 2012

TypeMRT wrote:

1:1 zoom is a trival firmware update that I'm afraid we'll never see.

Folks seem to get hung up quite rigidly on the bracketing range. You get +/-3 EV, so 3 shots is plenty in most cases. It would take 7 shots at +/-1 EV to get the same coverage. I appreciate getting a wider dynamic range in fewer shots especially considering the extra stop of latitude of the FX sensor compared to a DX sensor.

This is why I find it so screwy that the D800 is limited to 1EV bracketing increments. This is an example of a trivial programming tweak Nikon should make to the firmware; zero cost to them and a benefit to loyal users.

If I could get +/- 3EV brackets with my D800, I doubt that I'd ever need more than a three-shot burst. And considering the slow FPS, that would help control ghosting.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony a5000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow