Pentax K-30 review posted

Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mateo Miller
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?
A complete, affordable "DX" system
In reply to Lars Rehm, Oct 29, 2012

To be honest I have been thinking of switching systems.

I have looked at used Canon 5d's and the Nikon d600.  Not so much for full frame although that is a positive but because of lens selection ( and a larger viewfinder).

If I were to spend K-5ii money I would probably spend the "extra" money and go full frame.

But the Pentax K-30 has made me re-evaluate what I have, what I want and what I can realistically afford.

I have a 16-45mm f/4 and a couple of old manual focus primes (50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/3.5).

What I want is a decent telephoto zoom and things like Nikon/Canon 70-200's are way too expensive and more than I want to carry around.  The Pentax 50-135mm would seem to fit the bill although I have not used one.

I also like to use primes which the big two (Canon, Nikon) have seemed to forgot how to make, at least for the APS-C.

The DPReview suggests that a Pentax K-30 preforms as well or better than anything else in its class (sans video).  I don't care about video at all.  So for the price of a well used Canon 5d I can have a top preforming APS-C sensor and a highly spec'd body.  But just a importantly have a lens selection that is reasonably affordable  and well thought out.

Kudos Pentax

and thank you DPReview for not "totally" ignoring usĀ 

Mateo Miller's gear list:Mateo Miller's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow