Risks of Oil on sensor on D600, what should I do?

Started Oct 29, 2012 | Questions thread
RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,344Gear list
Like?
Re: Risks of Oil on sensor on D600, what should I do?
In reply to Matthew I, Oct 29, 2012

Matthew I wrote:

Hi guys,

Been on DPreview for ages but haven't really ever posted. So here's my problem. I'm settled on getting a Nikon D600. Decided after like two weeks of researching between a D800, D600 & Canon EOS 5D Mark III.

So here's my issue, the net would have you believe that the oil on sensor issue is pretty widespread and since I'd be buying it from abroad and have no prior experience in cleaning the sensors of oil, wondering whether I should be worrying about this? Is it really widespread? Can one clean it themselves or when it shows, is the Nikon repair centre the only real recourse? Its probably the best camera for what I would like to do. It sucks that I have to worry about the QC of a new product from a company I admire but should I just take the plunge? Tis a major worry!

I have a D600 and, yes, after some use, it had some spots on it.   I used the wet cleaning method like I have used on all digital cameras and cleaned it in 2 minutes.   It's so easy to do, I'm not sure why this is even an issue.   To me, it's more indicative of the overall quality of the experience of using the D600 if that and the one-touch zoom inconvenience are the most talked about issues.

It's a great camera!

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow