Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AMM66
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
To Repair or Not to Repair?
Oct 29, 2012

Some of you may have read my thread about my a57 & CZ16-80 taking a bath in some fresh water this past week.  I had placed both of them in a bowl with rice to dry out.  I got the camera out last night and it did power on, but the shutter curtain stuck about halfway.  I turned it on and off several times in hopes that the shutter curtain would go back to it's proper position, but it didn't.  This morning the shutter curtain moved back into it's proper position.   Thought that was odd, but it encouraged me.  The CZ lens is still wet so I put a different lens on and was able to take two photos before the camera started acting up.  By acting up I mean the LCD screen kept randomly changing from the mode I had it in to panorama or sweep panorama or to the scenes mode screen.  Also, when I turned the mode dial everything worked properly except the superior auto mode which kept showing up as movie mode.  Out of desperation I reset the camera to the factory settings, but this did not correct the problems.  I have also run the sensor cleaner.  I turned the camera off and called the Sony Repair people.  Oddly enough, after the phone call I turned the camera back on and I am no longer having the problems with the changing screens or wrong modes.  However, I am still having two other problems.  First, the camera will not focus in auto mode regardless of which lens is attached, but it will focus in manual.  I have tried every lens I own.  One special problem is with the 70-400g lens.  When I tried to change the Autofocus mode with the 70-400 lens attached I get a message that says "Invalid in current focus state.  Available with Autofocus".  The camera seems to think I have a manual lens on.  And yes, both the camera and the lens are set to autofocus.  I also put the 70-400 on my a33 to verify that the lens is fine and it is.  The second problem is that the viewfinder is fogged up from the water.  I see the two tiny screws above and to the side of the viewfinder, but don't know if that would gain me access to the inside of the viewfinder or not.  Anyone tried this?  Has anyone had either of these problems repaired and at what kind of cost?  The Sony rep only gave me a minimum quote that doesn't include any parts they may have to replace.  If it's going to cost me 1/2 or more of what a new body would cost then I may just buy a new body.  Also, has anyone had a lens get wet inside and then have it repaired successfully?  The minimum quote for the lens is about $200, but since the lens would cost me $1000 to replace that seems reasonable.  I am just concerned about whether it will be as good as new or not.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Sorry for such a long post, but wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Thanks, Angie

Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow