Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rumi Siddiqui
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
D700 w/ Nikon SB Speedlites or Elinchrom Quadra Rangers
Oct 29, 2012

So far, I am pretty happy with my D700. I am still learning the ropes of the Nikon system. The technology does seem a little outdated vs my previous Canon 5D Mark III.

I need to be more aggressive in terms of turning a profit from my glorified hobby, as I recently discovered, I have to cover the tuition to put my wife through med school, and loans may not be approved in time or even accepted. I have a decent job, but was thinking of doing portraiture on the weekends.

I was originally, going to use my left over budget towards a new lens to compliment my 70-200mm 2.8 VR II; however, I think it's wise to get a good lighting source at this time.

I'm debating between one or two SB-910's or SB-700's, or one Elinchrom Quadra Ranger w/ battery pack. I would like to shy away from doing event type work, and do on-location portraits. I am little more inclined to start off with the Quadra Ranger w/ battery and skyport, and eventually get the 37 in Octa. I am little divided in this decision, because I know the SB speedlite setup would be a more portable, but less powerful solution, and allow me to take on the fly indoor shots. Getting both is not an option at the moment, but eventually I will. Please advise! My present budget is about $1500 give or take.

Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow