M4/3 is briliant, except for a few things...

Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Entropius
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,158
Like?
M4/3 is briliant, except for a few things...
Oct 29, 2012

I'm in the market for a new camera system after shooting vanilla Four Thirds for a while. Now my nicest lens (50-200) has broken, and I'm looking for a replacement -- and might as well jump systems while I'm at it, since there are no vanilla 4/3 bodies with modern sensors and the 50-200 isn't really long enough for what I want.
I'm seriously pondering getting an E-M5 after renting one for a weekend and being impressed as hell, but there are a few things that would make the decision a slam dunk -- things that ought not to be too hard to do.
1) A 300 f/4 lens that is up to Olympus optical standards. This shouldn't be too hard, as that is not a particularly hard one to design (compared to things like a 12 f/2). This, more than anything else, would be a trigger for me to buy an E-M5 tomorrow. I shoot little critters, and I'd like something better than the 100-300 at the long end (from what I've heard about it). It should focus quickly, have a minimum focus distance of no more than five feet or so, and be sharp enough to use with teleconverters… and it should be weathersealed.

2) Teleconverters. On conventional 4/3, there are quite a few applications for the things: sharp long lenses (which m4/3 needs, see above), but also giving macro lenses more working distance. In vanilla 4/3 there is a 35 f/3.5 macro lens that retains AF when used with a 2x TC: it doesn't matter if it's f/7 if you're actually using it as a macro lens, since you're after DOF anyway. Wouldn't it be nice to have a 120 f/5.6 macro lens for bugs?
3) Weathersealing! There's this brilliant weathersealed body but the only weathersealed lens is a slow zoom with lots of chromatic aberration. Olympus needs to design, or convince Panasonic to design, some serious lenses with weathersealing. 4/3 showed that it's possible to make an entire weathersealed lineup without sacrificing much. At a minimum, they should weatherseal the sorts of lenses people are likely to take into harsh conditions: a wideangle prime of good quality, a macro lens, maybe the 45/1.8, and their long stuff, along with maybe a 14-150-type superzoom.
4) Smaller AF points without having to use the clunky workaround of magnifying the finder view: I'd like small point AF while still in full-frame viewfinder mode. It shouldn't be too hard to get the "best of both worlds" of compact camera and SLR autofocus in terms of what gets locked onto.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow