Have been thinking about the Nikon D600. Is it right for me?

Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
memo90061
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
Have been thinking about the Nikon D600. Is it right for me?
Oct 29, 2012

Hello. I've been thinking of the Nikon D600 mainly because of the clean high ISO images. I don't consider myself a pro, and I still have a lot to learn. I started off with point and shoot cameras, then moved to 4/3s with an Olympus E-520, and  now have a Canon T2i. I've been finding my style with all these cameras, and what I noticed I shoot the most is candid images, and love night images. I don't like using the flash, and high ISO pictures aren't that good with my T2i. I use a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, and have good pictures. I just wish they were cleaner.

I can't afford the Nikon D600 now, but MIGHT be able to afford it in February, if I sell my Canon T2i + lenses. I've been thinking about different cameras, and can't seem to decide on one. I wanted the Olympus OM-D because it's lightweight, is weather sealed, has a lot of lenses I want, has IBIS to help me with my night pictures, and high ISO is good for a m4/3s camera. I also thought about the Fuji X-E1 because of the smaller size, and it seems to have good high ISO quality. I'm just nervous about the focusing because I also like capturing snapshots of people. I didn't think of full frame mainly because of the big size. I carry my camera almost at all times, and sometimes I just don't want to carry all the gear the entire day. The Nikon D600 came out, and I've been amazed at the high ISO images. That's the quality I would want in a small body. If I were to buy the camera I would probably buy a used body (hopefully I'm able to buy a used body in February around 1800) and buy the 50mm f/1.8 G lens. I think I'll be good with that until I can afford a wider fast lens.

Do you think I'd benefit from the Nikon D600? Here are some types of images I shot to get an idea of what I like to shoot.

memo90061's gear list:memo90061's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Olympus E-520
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow