SX50 no-Lock vs Lock real user video

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Condor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768
Like?
Re: More Full zoom handheld at dusk
In reply to Condor, Oct 29, 2012

Condor wrote:

This allow me to share some of the tricks that I have learned with superzoom P&S and birding.

1.- I use to set the two Customs options in my SX30 for birding (C1 and C2), each one for different situations.

a.- One (C1) for when the lowest ISO is the priority (you know, sunny days, closer subjects and when you want and "can" capture the more and better details...

b.- ... and the other (C2) for when I just want to get a non blurred image with poor light condiitions (as the conditions you had for your above photo), setting a minimum shutter speed to avoid blurred images (let's say 1/30) and at the same time I set the highest ISO possible. It's a trade-off, and each single machine has different "best" parameters. And in my case since I am an ID birder, and not intersted in publishing the photos but in getting a non blurred image, I use to use the máx ISO.

2.- Both C buttons are set at SX30 maximum full zoom, which is 840mm. So, when I rapidly turn on my camera at my hips or my chest, it is almost at full zoom when it reaches my eye. Then I use the Framing Assist button if needed, which zooms out enough to locate my subject and I release it to zoom in back. When I half press the sutter it shows me a magnification of the center frame since I had set the "AF-Point Zoom" to "On" on the menu. In SX50 you should add pressing the Lock button before firing.

3.- I use a Binocular Harness, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00200BVXS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It really makes a difference when carrying a superzoom camera on long walks, and it helps with steadiness at the same time (I learned this trick in a birding website). And it is very usefull in so many ocasions as in live concerts.

For what it could be worth it,

Ed

I forgot to tell that for C2 setting (1-b; low light - rapid movement conditions) I set 1/30 at Tv mode and that I also turn "Safety Shift" option On on the menu. And that's the setting I save in C2.

This setting (Safety Shift option On, 1/30 on Tv mode) allows the 1/30 to be a minimum and not the obliged shutter speed (If the camera sensors decides 1/30 it is to slow when the shutter is pressed halfway, too much light, it will increase shutter speed as necesary).

Ed

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow