SX50 - pulled the trigger today

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50 - pulled the trigger today
In reply to Broch Gerling, Oct 29, 2012

Broch Gerling wrote:

I am on the fence between two cameras right now, the SX50, and the G15. Did any of you decide between these two? I know that the biggest differences are the range and the build quality. I would appreciate any info! Thank you!

While I didn't consider the G series cameras when buying either my SX40 or SX50, I think choosing which feature sets between the two series depends more on what type of photography you do then anything else. The G is smaller and lighter with a faster lens and a slightly larger sensor (1.7). The SX, while twice the weight and with a slightly smaller sensor (2.3), makes up for that by being both wider (24mm vs. 28mm - a rather large 10° wider angle of view) and 8½x longer (1200mm vs 140mm optical). If you're into street photography, or family pictures or general landscapes, and also like to shoot in darker conditions, then the G series may be fine for your needs. But if you want wildlife, both distant or near macro (the SX40 and SX50 have the fabulous capability to take macro images down to ¾" subjects from 4½ feet away), and want expansive landscapes (that 10°) plus the street photography and family pictures, and also don't mind the larger camera and general need for more light (though the IS many times is unbelievable), then the SX really shines. They're both excellent pieces of equipment for their intended use. Which use is going to be yours?

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow