Good News or Bad (Article on Sony/Nex by Thom Hogan on sansmirror.com )

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
jafary
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Re: Good News or Bad (Article on Sony/Nex by Thom Hogan on sansmirror.com )
In reply to Bill1000Evening, Oct 29, 2012

I think Sony will keep its DSLT offer as long as it gets around 10% market share which I think is the case now. They have to stick to that because as long as EVF technology is getting better, high end camera (A99 category) will get serious interest from pro photographers (providing that lens offer keep along). Pro's adoption is important for a brand's image and definitely helps to sell more consumer bodies. On the other hand, I don't think there will be a pro market for mirrorless, compact cameras because lenses for FF (or even pro lenses for aps-c) won't be smaller than what we have now. Reduced flange distance simply isn't enough to manufacture compact and fast zooms. It's either Leica's way: all manual primes but compact, or all technological goodies (silent AF, IS...) at the cost of size. Just look at m43 offer: it's 40% less surface compared to APS-C, yet cameras and lenses are almost the same size (if not bigger) than NEX. Sony secured a good share in MIL cameras and seriously need to keep the early adopters by improving lens quality (even with a size increase, a trade-off that experts will accept) and by alluring new customers with really compact lenses like the new 16-50mm PZ. This what Nikon and Canon are doing with their DSLR: attract new customers by relatively low entry prices to their systems, then keep dragging them higher.

jafary's gear list:jafary's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow