Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 941
Like?
Re: Choosing between D4,D800,1DX,5D3
In reply to Dibyendu Majumdar, Oct 29, 2012

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

Hi,

I am looking to buy an FX DSLR - primary use case is available light photography.
I currently own a Nikon D300 and an old Canon 1DS. Most of the lenses I own are Nikon.
I have prepared a comparison chart of the cameras showing aspects that matter to me. This can be seen here:
https://docs.google.com/a/cameragossip.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Agy9Da9GGcP0dExrSFBHbHNNdmZZYlc0ME9nZUJpUUE#gid=0

Photography is just a hobby, but I have a passion for great cameras. Owning a 1DX or D4 would be a pleasure in its own right (like owning the best car) - I don't think these cameras would make me a better photographer, or my skills justify them.

I have obviously been researching each of the cameras but lacking first hand experience makes it hard to judge. The thing that frustrates me most about my current photography is missed focus as no matter how great a picture is if it is out of focus I get put off by the result.

The D800 would have been the most obvious choice for me but two things trouble me - a) the reports of AF problems, and b) I don't need the 36mp and would have to alter my workflow significantly to adapt to it.

The D4 is ideal from a specification point of view, but it is obviously twice the cost.

The Canons are attractive but I find it hard to accept the cost of the new 24-70mm lens.

My budget is around 5k so if I go for the D4 or 1Dx I will have to forego the lens.

I can't expect unbiased opinions here but nevertheless would like to hear what people think.

Regards

Dibyendu

If budget is a subject, I would seriously consider the D600 over the D800, and the D3s over the D4. The 5DmkIII looks like a nice low-light camera, but it's more expensive than the D800.

I would go with the D600. Best bang for your buck. All those new FX cameras + the D3s are amazing at high ISO. Coming from the D300, you will be blown away, and you won't notice any difference between those cameras, when you view the images at the same size. Now if you want more "pro" features than the D600 has, go for either D800/D3s/5DmkIII. The D4 and 1DX are just way to expensive if you're not shooting professionally (news/sports).

Don't get a D4/1Dx especially if that makes skip the lens.

Just my opinion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D800New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow