1500-1700$ Photo editing / architecture PC

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?
Re: 1500-1700$ Photo editing / architecture PC
In reply to robertfel, Oct 29, 2012

robertfel wrote:

I was in the same boat, after getting the D800, I bought a new laptop and built a new desktop. I highly recommend these 2 sites:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31-322.html for build advice

and

http://pcpartpicker.com/ for pricing, check the charts and buy low, I saved >10%.

With the advice from Tom's Hardware, I built a very similar system to yours. I went the the P8Z77-V, no 'Pro'. I compared the 2 and didn't see a thing I needed in the Pro. I went with the bigger Noctua cooler since I wanted a quiet system, it's in the living room. Though check to see if it will fit in your case and if RAM will fit. I think big RAM heatsinks are nonsense, good air flow is probably better. I have the same processor.

Are you going with 32GB? Unless you're rendering video all day (you mentioned it third) or working with 10 file panoramas with a dozen layers, 16GB is fine. Also, you need Windows Pro or higher to recognize more than 16GB.

I went with the 256GB Samsung SSD. Not sure what HDD you mean, I've only seen Green drives at 5400rpm. The MB will support RAID. I'm using the SSD for OS, programs and scratch. It's blazing fast compared to my old system, I doubt you'll see a real life benefit to have a separate scratch for Photoshop (maybe for video). Just make sure you put it on a SATA3 port.

I don't believe the Quaddro will help much with photos, I've seen video benchmarks where it really helps. Photoshop uses the video card for things like panning and zooming.

Don't bother with the 6 core CPUs unless you had money to burn or super tight deadlines, the cost increase doesn't equate to productivity increase. But if a 20% cost increase is worth saving 4% time, go for it. However, I don't know the benchmarks for architecture renderings, so maybe it's worth it there.

Thanks for the reply.

I finally went for 256GB SSD instead of 128, and 16GB of ram instead of 32, and a WD RE4 2TB (high performance enterprise grade HDD) instead of 2x WD 3TB Caviar Greens

I just ordered everything but the graphic card (I posted and got advice on a couple of other forums like tomshardware) and my final setup looks like this:

Asus P8Z77-V PRO

Intel Core i7-3770K

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cpu cooler

G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x 8GB 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9

Samsung SSD Drive 830 Series 256GB

Western Digital RE4 2TB/64MB - 7200rpm

Seasonic X-660 (SS-660KM) Gold - 660W

Corsair Carbide Series 300R case

I am still hesitating between the nVidia GTX 660 vs nVidia Quadro 600

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow