Photo Transformations (OM-D 16x images)

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
jl_smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,406Gear list
Like?
Think of "conflicting" effects!
In reply to tedolf, Oct 29, 2012

tedolf wrote:

thanks for the inspriation. Now all I have to do is figure out how to do it! Tedolph

Thanks for the comments.

One thing to consider is remember to experiment of course, and try combining "conflicting" processing effects.

For instance, one thing I sometimes do in processing is to combine a tonal contrast filter (using Color Efex) with a Glamour Glow filter (same program).  Both of these are almost conflicting effects (Tonal contrast in Color Efex can be very strong, like a super clarity, whereas Glamour Glow softens the image), but combined they have a different effect than if just one or the other filter were applied.

That's the approach I used on these images.  On most of the images, I first ran it through HDR EFEX 2 to get a gritty / punchy look.  It takes a bit of experimentation to get what I wanted.

Afterwards, I would take the photo into Topaz "Clean 3", which is basically a detail stylizer, and almost "undo" the HDR EFEX detail by simplifying some of the image to give the bold, cartoony effects, etc.

Once I learned the best methods (for me) from each program, it was just a matter of tweaking to taste, remembering some photos will require additional touchup *after* the filters have been run (additional clarity or negative clarity, etc) in Lightroom.

-- hide signature --

JL Smith
www.flickr.com/photos/jl_smith
www.clickingwithsmitty.com

jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow