Need a BIG favor!! Dual D800 and 5DmkIII owners chime in!

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
misolo
Contributing MemberPosts: 823Gear list
Like?
f/11
In reply to JamieTux, Oct 29, 2012

JamieTux wrote:

(...)

I shot both with the exact same light set up in front of my shed! It was Elinchrom Quadra fired through 40cm light box from above right at ISO 100 and F11 - all light modification technologies were turned off on both cameras. Canon 5D2 had 100L, Nikon had 105VR.

(...)

Conclusion (for me):
There is nothing to be gained by switching for me - on this scale of subject there is no additional detail

(...)

I haven't played with a D800 myself (have a 5D and 5DIII), but shooting at f/11 I think it's not surprising that you don't see much difference in sharpness. On the 5DII diffraction starts being visible at f/10, and on the D800E before f/8.

To see the full difference (which is not huge anyway), you may need to shoot at f/5.6 or even f/4, and make sure you're using a lens that's sharp corner-to-corner at that aperture and with enough resolution for that sensor - there are not many of those, unfortunately.

misolo's gear list:misolo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix XP10 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f/11New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow