Downsides to no AA filter

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Maxeyesore
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
Re: Downsides to no AA filter
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Oct 29, 2012

Right. So the way I see it, if I can find a longer apsc lens, then even better. The worst case scenario is I only have a FF lens, which will still offer longer reach with the apsc crop factor. This is what I meant when I was saying the only time an object is not divided by equal number of pixels is when you have space to make the FOV equal. In many situations, such as birding from great distance, you can't do this, so the bird itself will be comprised of the same resolution on a D800 as a II-s.

In comparisons, like DPR or IR, they have time and means to make the FOV equal, for comparative purposes, but this ignores the innate advantage of a crop sensor (not really an advantage, more like an equalizer), that the crop effect negates extra rez of a FF by offering more reach, even it it's really a digital crop. This is of course why some people prefer crop sensors for birding or very long range shots. Technically you lose no resolution per given object. It is no different than shooting a D800, then cropping to 16mp, then enlarging.

Now to the original point, if an object is made up of an equal number of pixels, it has the same chance to show moire. Simple concept, at least I thought.

-- hide signature --

Pentax...Find Your Element.

Maxeyesore's gear list:Maxeyesore's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Pentax K-5 IIs
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow