Fantastic lens experience!

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Graham Meale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089Gear list
Like?
I upgraded to the L
In reply to clager, Oct 29, 2012

I was very fond of my 70-300 non-L but I have no regrets having sold it and upgraded to the L. The non-L was excellent value for money, and produced very sharp images most of the time. But not as consistently as the L. On some critical occasions the non-L produced photos that were not at all sharp, and I've never worked out why. (Early releases of the non-L had a fault that might have accounted for this, but mine had been "fixed".) The contrast and clarity in the corners is definitely better on the L, too. The L is certainly heavier and stouter, but otherwise not much larger than the non-L. It fits nicely into the same space in my Lowepro bag.

So yes, the non-L is very sharp (it has been referred to by some as the "hidden L") but in my experience not consistently. The 70-300L is a stellar lens.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow