5D Mark III vs 7D - Effective Resolution When Cropping and Noise Reduction Applied

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alton (TN)
Contributing MemberPosts: 985
Like?
Re: 5D Mark III vs 7D - Effective Resolution When Cropping and Noise Reduction Applied
In reply to kidcharles, Oct 28, 2012

I also have both and love the 7D for the reach. Yes, the 5DIII has better AF, ISO performance, and less noise. The 5DIII outperforms the 7D in every area I use a camera for except for birding. Even that may be a mute point when the firmware update allows the 5DIII to focus at f8.0. With a 1.4 TC my 400 f5.6 will be almost the same effective reach (1.4 vs 1.6) with 22 mp vs 18mp.

Just the same, in my case I plan to keep the 7D.  And if I upgrade it, it will be to a 7D replacement. I prefer to use my lens w/o a TC and have the speed over the reach. My hope is that the 7D replacement will gain some of the features the 5DIII has. Hopefully, that will still mean 5DIII's AF and ability to focus at f8. The locking mode dial, silent shutter, less noise, and better ISO performance would also be a plus. I'm thinking that would probably be at 24+ MPs when released. That would be the perfect cropped sensor body for birding in my opinion.

But either way, you have it covered right now with what you have.

-- hide signature --

Alton

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow