Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,439Gear list
Like?
Re: Singh Ray Graduated ND filters with D800
In reply to primeshooter, Oct 28, 2012

primeshooter wrote:

T O Shooter wrote

Anyone using graduated Singh Ray ND filters with their D800? I'm looking to buy a couple, but since the D800 shows any short comings in your glass, I would suspect that using an optical resin filter might show up even more. I have an old Cokin one that I used a handful of times on other bodies ( 300s, 7000, 700 ) and worked fine for the couple of times I used it, but seemed to degrade the image the one time I tried it on the D800. I don't want to shell out the hundreds of dollars for the Singh Ray's if they don't work well with a D800.

Just a thought, I used to use Lee 3 stop grads for most landscapes. Now, I find I rarely use them. In fact I've shot into the sun in the top 1/3 of the frame and retained all detail bar the disc of the sun - the shadows are clean and colourful. For most of my shots, no point anymore, although ND's, different ball game for creative effects.

I find the DR amazing as well and I'll deliberately take the same shot wirh both the D700 and D800 and it's amazing what gets lost with the D700 that the D800 retains. But we're not there yet, and there are situations where I can use a graduated ND

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow