Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,984Gear list
Like?
The FZ200 hood - the fix
Oct 28, 2012

I had posted a little while ago about the force needed to mount and dismount the FZ200 hood.  I just finished fixing mine and the force required is now minimal, but enough to keep the hood in place.  This is a pretty quick fix, if you have the right tools and some patience.

If you look at the inside rim of the hood where it mounts to the lens, you'll see a long groove on each side with a little bump near the end of the groove.  That little bump (or lug) locks into a notch in the ribs on the lens.  You'll also see a pair of short grooves with the same little lug in it.  The short grooves are for locking the hood when it's reversed and stored on the lens.

The fix is to cut down the height of those lugs in the four grooves (two long grooves, and two short ones).   I used a Swiss pattern file and filed down the lugs a little at a time until I got a gemtle, but positive click.  To see what I was doing I used a magnifying ring light.  Go in small steps, it doesn't take much to get to a gentle click.  Take off too much and the hood won't lock onto the lens.  You only have to remove a few thousandths of an inch on each of the four lugs.

If you don't have a set of pattern files, use some fine sandpaper or garnet paper, fold a small piece in half and use the folded edge to sand down the lugs.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow