Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,179Gear list
Like?
Re: k-30 manual focus
In reply to Blackburn11, Oct 28, 2012

Blackburn11 wrote:

Thank you all for your replies.

I just want to make sure I read these correct. So the live view and focus peaking setup means I see exactly what the sensor sees.

Correct.

However, when I use the viewfinder, it could be off a bit (hence the reason for a diopter... which I didnt know about).

Think of diopter adjustment as reading glasses on your camera. It might not be the issue you're dealing with. Perhaps more likely, you need a micro-adjustment of the phase-detect AF system. You can read up on that in the manual.

I admit, that I took a bunch of pictures with both the viewfinder (most) and focus peaking and some where in focus, but most where not. I didnt know which came from which type of focus.

Also, if the viewfinder is off a bit and needs adjusting, it wouldnt need different adjustment for different lenses.... would it?

Assume at first that you don't need different adjustments for different lenses until you know that not to be correct.

I will certainly do the tripod setup with an AF lens and compare the viewfinder with live view. I also see a reason to not shoot at 1.7 just because I got a lens that could shoot at 1.7. Just want to make sure my camera (and myself) is setup for success. It sure is frustrating going on a walk with my daughter and getting less than 50% keepers cause of focus!

-- hide signature --

Scott Blackburn

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow