Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aspalmat
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
24 - 70 f/2.8 on DX Camera, thoughts?
Oct 28, 2012

Just looking for some feedback on a 24 - 70 f/2.8 lens on a DX camera.

I currently have a D5100, Nikon 18 - 200 VR II, Tamron 70 - 300 VC, and the Nikon 35 f/1.8 prime lens.

I really want a fast lens with constant f/2.8 through the range. My primary use for this range is for family get together's, B Day parties, Christmas, Easter etc.  These are typically indoors, where the lighting is less than ideal, and the constant f/2.8 is very appealing.   I understand the 17 - 55/17 - 50 is the "normal" range for DX camera's.  However, I just find the 55 mm to short.  I really like to zoom in on people and isolate them, and 55 mm just doesn't seem to get me there, where I think the 70 mm on DX would do the trick.

Although the 24 - 70 is the "normal" range for FX camera's.  Is there any reason why I wouldn't want this on a DX camera?  I think I'm willing to give up the wide end, to gain on the longer end.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks.

aspalmat's gear list:aspalmat's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony a6000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow