Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aspalmat
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
24 - 70 f/2.8 on DX Camera, thoughts?
Oct 28, 2012

Just looking for some feedback on a 24 - 70 f/2.8 lens on a DX camera.

I currently have a D5100, Nikon 18 - 200 VR II, Tamron 70 - 300 VC, and the Nikon 35 f/1.8 prime lens.

I really want a fast lens with constant f/2.8 through the range. My primary use for this range is for family get together's, B Day parties, Christmas, Easter etc.  These are typically indoors, where the lighting is less than ideal, and the constant f/2.8 is very appealing.   I understand the 17 - 55/17 - 50 is the "normal" range for DX camera's.  However, I just find the 55 mm to short.  I really like to zoom in on people and isolate them, and 55 mm just doesn't seem to get me there, where I think the 70 mm on DX would do the trick.

Although the 24 - 70 is the "normal" range for FX camera's.  Is there any reason why I wouldn't want this on a DX camera?  I think I'm willing to give up the wide end, to gain on the longer end.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow