X-Pro1/X-E1 jpg quality better than X100 and FF cameras?

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
holyfan
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
X-Pro1/X-E1 jpg quality better than X100 and FF cameras?
Oct 28, 2012

I owned an X100 and I absolutely loved the jpg colors and image quality.  Though the 23mm lens for me was a bit too wide since I prefer to shoot portraits instead of landscape.

I also have a Sony A77 but I find the jpg color so-so for my taste (tried different jpg settings).  And also when shooting indoors any photos above iso 1600 gets pretty soft.

I know that to get the best image quality one must process RAW but let's just say that I would really hope to avoid post-processing as much as possible.  I read a popular article about RAW vs. Jpg with the philosophy that shooting RAW is like going to the restaurant and cook the raw materials yourself.  Since most of the camera makers spend a lot of time improving the jpeg featuers and engine, users should try to take advantage of that.  But anyway I guess you could say I'm just a bit lazy to Post-process (unless it's for a paid gig)

So my question is, that if I am shooting jpegs only, how much better is the X-E1 files better than the X100? (since the dxomark score for the X-E1 sensoe isn't out yet)

Also Some users claim that the X-Pro1 (jpg?) image quality matches the output of Canon FF 5DII or 5DIII ? are they really comparable?     I'm basically looking for the BEST OOC jpeg qualtiy camera money can buy.  The Sony A99 is a lot more expensive than the X-E1, but if it has crappy jpeg engine and I can't really enjoy much improvement the A99 has over X-E1, I may just go for the X-E1.  However if the FF cameras can render much better OOC jpeg than the Fuji then I will probably go for the FF camera.

Any advice and experience sharing is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow