Lightroom users for Fx Nikons. Does the rendering seems kinda bright to you?

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim Keye
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587
Like?
Re: Lightroom users for Fx Nikons. Does the rendering seems kinda bright to you?
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Oct 28, 2012
The Photo Ninja wrote:

It seems like I'm quite often seeing really bright highlights. When I use another raw converter, not so much.

Any tips? I'm now shooting with a d800 and using lightroom 4 with a colorchecker passport.

First, is you monitor calibrated? Tough to make comparisons w/o that. But more to it, have you measured numbers (R,G,B) and compared just how different different conversions are? "Seeing" isn't the best comparison method. I don't doubt that they are brighter, but trusting your eyes isn't the best way.

Second, are you using default conversion settings (other than the colorchecker profile?) For example, is there a medium-contrast curve being applied to the images?

Default settings are rarely ideal. Tweak them to get what you want and then save them. You can either set those as default or at least have them ready to be applied to an image very quickly in the future. Shooting some gradients or step wedges might also give you a better idea of how and where the tones are being shifted--compress and/or stretched. I've long wished Adobe's sliders were more linear, but alas....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow