Which RAW conversion software do you use and why?

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Prognathous
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,668
Like?
Which RAW conversion software do you use and why?
Oct 28, 2012

I've been very happy with RawTherapee with my other cameras, but the results this free tool produces with the A77 are quite bad, with ugly looking noise and artificial colors. I own a copy of Corel AfterShot Pro, but it's not much better, and isn't updated as frequently as RT so I don't have much hope to see great improvements there. DxO Optics Pro 7/8 and Lightroom 4 both turn out much better results, with DxO being relatively easy to use and delivering the best noise reduction and colors, and LR4 being much faster to process files but with a flow that does not feel natural to me. I don't want to do any importing, just open a RAW file directly, convert using my chosen settings and save the result. I typically convert a small amount of files, so no need for batch processing. What else is there? Capture One Pro 7 may be good, but at $300 it is just too expensive for me (I need noise reduction, so Express 6 is out). Same issue with Silkypix DeveloperStudio. I'd rather not spend much more than $120 or so.

Any recommendations? I'd be happy to hear what other users (and specifically A77 users) use and why.

Thanks,

Prog.

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow