Epson 4000 trouble shoot help

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
dwightt
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Re: Epson 4000 trouble shoot help
In reply to Bobjoek, Oct 28, 2012

Bobjoek wrote:

I also have an Epson Pro 4000 and understand the problem you have. Several questions and suggestions:

1. When you ran cleaning solution were you getting flow through the magenta channel?

2. Have you tried the power cleaning option?

3. What is the ink level in your magenta cartridge? I am using refillable 220ml cartridges and have had flow problems when the ink levels are below 1/2. As long as I keep the cartridges above 1/2 full, I have minimal problems.

4. Have you tried the manual nozzle check and cleaning? I found that the auto function is not very useful. Looking at the manual nozzle check results, if the same segments are always missing, you probably have clogs. If the missing segments move around with various manual nozzle checks, then air bubbles are probably the issue.

5. Have you cleaned the capping station? Cleaning gunk off the capping station, particularly the O ring gasket will improve the seal and help head cleaning. Also clean the wiper blade. Another trick that may help is with power off, manually move the head away from the capping station, flood the station with your cleaning fluid and move the head back over the capping station. Leaving the printer sitting off overnight with the head exposed to your cleaning solution may dissolve clogs.

Time can be your friend. I have found that performing no more than 3-5 manual head cleans, then let the printer sit overnight usually significantly improves results.

Also with my Epson 4000 I use a very effective home brew cleaning solution comprised of 3 parts Windex with ammonia and 1 part 90% isopropyl alcohol. The combination of ammonia and alcohol appears to be effective in dissolving clogs.

Hope the above suggestions may be of some help.

Bob

1.  At first I had a clog at the magenta ink cart, a clog in the magenta ink line and a clog at the magenta ink head. All have been cleared and I get a nice flow of cleaning solution through the magenta ink head.

2.  I have tried two of the power cleaning options and did not see an improvement.

3.  Ink carts were all full. Or they were when all this started, cleaning really eats up the ink.

4.  I took the head apart and ran an IV of cleaning solution through it all night, so it should be clean.

5.  Capping station has also been cleaned.

Today I plan on putting the head back together, swap the damper on the yellow to the magenta to see if there is an air leak on the new damper and try again. If it is still not printing magenta I guess I will just use it as a parts machine.

Thanks

Dwight

dwightt's gear list:dwightt's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 350D Nikon D200 Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 550D +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow