ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,927
Like?
FZ200 - Why I prefer megazooms over DSLR rigs
Oct 28, 2012

Hi folks:

I was out the other day and met up with a fellow photographer, a retired chap, who I discovered was using a Canon T2i with a Sigma 150-500mm lens. At first I secretly lusted after his sensor size and the extra resolution he had at his disposal... but his rig was like a bazooka... and it clearly kept him pinned to the bird feeding station he was camped out at. He was definitely not going for a afternoon stroll with all that gear hanging from his neck.

I, on the other hand, had already been outside walking for 2 hours visiting various photography haunts and would go on for another 2 hours visiting 2 additional spots. I was a bit tired when I got home, but not from carrying my fly-weight camera.

Later than evening, I visited his Flickr account to view some of his photos. His compositions were quiet nice, but for the most part, the technical quality of his images were not appreciably better than mine in my Flickr account, even when viewed at full size of 4000 X 3000 pixels, yet I had total mobility and paid less than a quarter of what he did. Plus, I had the additional advantage of having a built-in wide angle lens whereas he couldn't go below 150mm.

In my opinion, if one can learn the basic skills of getting high-quality images out of the FZ200 and the FZ150, and other megazooms (as simple as shooting in P mode a lot of the time), and keeping noise down and pping the rest away, you would be hard pressed to find a logical reason for choosing the big expensive DSLR rigs over one of today's superzooms.

my 2 cents

Rudy

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow