First outing with the E-420 (some pics too)

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,662Gear list
Like?
First outing with the E-420 (some pics too)
Oct 28, 2012

I have to say that once I got into the field, the E-420 became more comfortable to use, even with the Mk1 40-150 attached. Noticeably lighter to carry, and I did find other differences against the E-1 too, such as the speed of AF, and I thought the VF was not notably smaller or dimmer either. Being able to view images on the larger screen was more useful than I'd remembered too.

On post processing, I found that the E-420 images were easy to work with, and retained more detail than expected at the clipped ends, so recovery worked quite well. Colours seem accurate, and detail is stunning. It's actually noticeably better even than the E-510 I had, and I haven't found the highlight clipping issue anywhere near as bad either with the E-420 (although I did leave it at -0.3ev anyway).

Overall, I'm impressed with it, and actually now pleased with my choice.

As promised, a few pictures from my first outing with the E-420. They're revisited subjects I'm afraid, but I wanted to properly benchmark against known factors. All have been taken on 'P' mode, -0.3ev, and using the Mk1 40-150. Some PP'ing in Apple Aperture.

Of course C&C welcome, or any tips/comments about using the E-420.

Cheers

Andy.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-1 and Mac Mini.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow