Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lawrence Becker
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
Needed flash for Panny G5-Enter Olympus FL-600R
Oct 28, 2012

This might be old news to many of you, but I was surprised to learn that the Oly FL-600R, which looks for all the world JUST LIKE THE newly announced (but probably coming out with the GH3) Panasonic DMW-FL360L, actually works great on my G5.

I had called Olympus to see if they knew if it would, and got a non-commital response (something like, Why would you want to do that?). I asked my local camera guy (at Samy's in Culver City, CA), and he didn't know - but we tried it and it seemed ok. Did some more reading on it, sorted out the way it worked, and thought I'd go ahead and try it.

Of course, the wireless flash isn't implemented on the G5 as it is on the OM-D and the GH3, but I'm likely to get a GH3 next year anyway, so I thought, rather than buy an older flash, get the new model -even with the wrong name on it...

I also had read that the Canon Off Camera Shoe cords would work with the Panasonic flashes. I can confirm that the combination of my G5, the Oly FL-600R, and the Canon OCS-2 works just great.

I knew that, while there are occasionally some firmware issues with m4/3 lenses and working on the two platforms, they generally get sorted out. At this point, the flash seems to be just fine.

I also like the video LED light - it isn't much, but it might just help on occasion for close-up subjects.

The size is nice for the G5 - cute little thing, compared to my Canon 580EXII... I would recommend it.

-- hide signature --

Larry Becker

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow