Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377
Like?
Re: comparing Canon 50mm 1.2 and 50mm 1.4 lenses
In reply to Collett, Oct 28, 2012

Collett wrote:

chironNYC wrote:

So, I have tried a seies of microadjustments on the 1.2, but it did not seem to improve anything relative to the 0 setting.

However, what did make a difference was moving the AF to the smallest spot focus setting on the 5d3. This setting samples a fraction of the selected focus point, so you can pick a very precise place to focus on.

At this setting, the Canon 1.2 on the 5d3 has been nailing focus consistently. I re-shot some of the scenes under 3 ft that I had poor results with yesterday, and this time they were quite sharp.

I agree with your appraisal of the Canon 50F1.4 vs the 50L in terms of the L just generating more pleasing images in terms of contrast, saturation, more shots in focus, and last but not least bokeh. The L shines in the F1.4 to F2.0 range, not to mention having F1.2.

How do you like the 50L on the 5dIII? My main beef with the 5dII is that I cannot reliably use anything but the center focus point at wide aperatures in less than ideal light. How much better are the 5dIII outer focus points in terms of accuracy and speed, and do you fing them all usable?

-- hide signature --

Jim

I have only had the 50 1.2 for about 2 weeks, so my experience with it is limited. However my sense is that it is very good with the 5d3 in terms of autofocus. It seems to lock very quickly and to be able to handle low light. I have only shot some images with off center points, but I was not aware of any difference between how the lens focused with center point or with off center point. Under 3 feet, I did think there was an improvement by using the spot focus mode on the 5d3, which uses a very small spot. I will try to take some more photos using the off center points tomorrow and let you know. But in general, I think the 5d3 works extremely well with this lens.

I did do some shots in servo mode at 1.2, and the lens focused almost continuously as there were slight movements in my distance to the subject. Excellent sensitivity and response.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow