This camera makes absolutely no sense for me, but...

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
travelinbri_74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,002
Like?
This camera makes absolutely no sense for me, but...
Oct 28, 2012

As I have posted before, I am a travel photographer, but not not just any kind of travel, primarily trekking and moving throughout areas in developing countries where access to being able to charge cameras may be few and far between (as in days apart).  I am also a volume shooter, hence even when I bring DSLRs, I tend to bring at least 5 batteries.  In this light, the DP1M and/or DP2M make no sense for me, as they eat battery life and recharging all the batteries needed to make it through a day would often be a hassle...

But...

Right now, the photos I am seeing from the Sigma DPxM series are my favorite renditions online.  I like them better than what I am seeing from the Nikon D800 (perhaps minus those few with the Zeiss 21/2.8, ohh la la).  When I bought a big fancy TV - the only fancy TV I had ever had in my life - I pondered over it for hours and finally got the one I thought had the best images when sitting in a store looking over 20 TVs (a Sony Bravia).  I am getting ready to reinvest in camera gear and I find myself thinking "I hope the Sony RX1 can have photos that look like the Sigma."  Which makes no sense.  I could get both sigmas and 10 extra batteries for less than the Sony RX1.  I don't mind leaning towards low ISOs and don't mind the slow AF, but the battery life makes this a poor choice for someone like me...

But shouldn't I buy the camera with the IQ that most appeals to me?

Any suggestions/advice?  Probably not, mostly just a rant, but for those of you not taking extended treks and near a regular power source, dag this looks like an amazing sensor.  I really am hoping they will come out with beta versions, slightly bigger with weatherproofing and longer battery life...

-TBri

Nikon D800 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow