Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jl_smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405Gear list
Like?
Photo Transformations (OM-D 16x images)
Oct 28, 2012

I've always been a fan of those "transformation" shows that show a before and then after, so I thought why not a thread about the same thing?

I serve in the USAf and my squadron recently had a "Trunk or treat" for the children.  Several people dressed up and I decided to take photos.  I thought the backgrounds were really bad, so I decided to experiment with some software techniques.

I don't claim these are amazing, and some would argue I made them worse!  I just wanted to show what I did, to give others ideas perhaps.

Most of these edits involve LR 4.1, CS 5.1, Topaz "Clean 3", Topaz "HDR Efex Pro 2".  Sometimes multiple edits in LR4 or CS were required.

Captain America - but the background is a bit blah

I've nullified most of the background, gave him some pop and added a slight comic book effect.

A friendly zombie handing out candy.  My 7.5mm Rok FE caught a lot of the scene, though.

Here I've burned away most of the scene, but kept enough to give the photo a "place".

The mighty Avengers, complete with blah background.

I went over the top with the burning and edits to attempt "movie poster" look

Zombie eating brains!  Doesn't look too scary though.

Now a gritty zombie eating brains.  I should probably burn more background, but I'm lazy!

Someone with a very cool scream mask that pumps flowing "blood"

Background burned, stylized effect and some amp on the red and orange to bring out the blood.

A zombie with cold hands

Obliterated the background completely, some selective dodge and burn, and stylized.

The wolf pack!  Loved this crew, even their truck was decorated as a large wolf.

Colored-pencil type look all the way.  Decided to keep the background.

This is the photo that started my edits.  I like their faces and pose, but wow the background sucks.

Here we go.  I went heavy on the comic book look.  replaced the background with a moon shot of mine.

Hope you enjoyed!

-- hide signature --

JL Smith
www.flickr.com/photos/jl_smith
www.clickingwithsmitty.com

jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow