Which lens for hidrohide photography?

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Questions thread
Snapshott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,890Gear list
Like?
Re: Which lens for hidrohide photography?
In reply to JPMontez, Oct 28, 2012

JPMontez wrote:

Snapshott wrote:

I started photographing wildlife from a kayak about 6 months ago. Different from what you are taking about but some similarities. I started shooting with my 80-200mm f2.8 af-s and now also use s 300mm f4 af-s and sometimes with the TC-14e. You can always use more reach for bird photography but I find my two lenses work well for me. I usually shoot shutter speeds of 1/800 or less because my subjects are usually moving, so I don't find stablization very usefull for me.

-- hide signature --

Snapshott

Thank you Snapshott for sharing your own experience.

Your comments confirm my initial thoughts about focal distance requirements. The more reach you can get the better, of course, but 200mm can be enough to start working with.

Anyway, I think I will start by building the floating hide (it should cost me around € 150) and then I will make some trials with my current 70-300 before I decide which lens I willl upgrade to.

Regards, João

Absolutely stick with the lenses you currently have and that experience will let you know what equipment you need. You may even find what you already have will work.

I'm in know way trying to sway you away from the floating hide as I really like the idea but I saw your post about how you thought it was too shallow for kayaks and canoes. My kayak only draws about 8" (20cm) of water. It does make it a little hard to paddle but I can always push on the bottom if I need to.

-- hide signature --

Snapshott

Snapshott's gear list:Snapshott's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow