XF1 Arrives - very first thoughts

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark Prince
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
Re: XF1 Arrives - very first thoughts
In reply to RickRhodes, Oct 27, 2012

RickRhodes wrote:

Thanks SO much for your comments. I've been anxiously waiting for hands-on info about this camera.

Hi Paul. Thanks. I plan on publishing a full review, with sample pics, on my tumblr page by Sunday evening . Monday morning. Will post the link here. In the meantime, let me try to answer your Questions

How does the Intelligent Auto Zoom interact with the manual zoom? The other cameras run up to the end of optical zoom, then kick in their intelligent zoom. With the manual zoom of the XF1 I'm not sure how the manual and intelligent zoom work together.

I haven't delved into IAZ too much yet, but I think it just replaces the "manual zoom" in that it just effectively doubles the focal length of the lens. So if you have IAZ turned on, your camera is now a 50-200mm camera with 6mp resolution. I could be wrong, but I haven't fully delved into it yet. The pictures are quite crisp and you'd be hard pressed to guess it was digital zoom though.

Does it have AE Lock? The only AE Lock the manual indicates is when the shutter button is half pressed. I don't' see a way to lock exposure across multiple shots. Is this correct? I like creating Panoramas, but I like to stitch them myself, and without AE Lock across shots I don't see much way of fixing the exposure without going into Manual mode.

As far as I can tell so far, there is NO AE lock, which sucks. I tried it last night while experimenting with Pro Low Light and Pro Focus modes. I'd lock focus, recompose, and watch the camera changing aperture and shutter values as I recomposed.

There may be AE lock buried somewhere in the menu system (Fuji's pretty notorious for burying must-have features deep in their firmware menus), but I haven't found it yet. I did skim the manual, reading some parts intently, other parts glossing over, but I should give it a better read to find out about AE Lock, and if it exists

According to the manual, the Program Shift function requires the ISO to be set to a specific value - cannot be AUTO. This makes sense. But when I read the Canon/Sony manuals I don't find this limitation. While this is the wrong forum for to ask - how do the other cameras handle Program Shift while having AUTO ISO set? (or do they!)

I think program shift is either busted in this firmware, or I just haven't figured out how to use it yet. I read that part of the manual too, but when I put the camera into P mode, set ISO to a hard number, and made DR AUTO (as per the manual), I still could not get program shift to work. I tried rotating both dials while half pressing the shutter (which is quite difficult to do btw - this camera needs AE and AF / AE lock!) nothing would happen.

I'm either doing it wrong, or it is not working in the launch firmware.

Cheers

Mark

-- hide signature --

-- Mark Prince, CoffeeGeek.com Photos: flickr.com/coffeegeek Twitter: twitter.com/coffeegeek

Mark Prince's gear list:Mark Prince's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-PL1 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow