Recommendations for an ultra-compact for climbing mountains?

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Colin Haley
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Recommendations for an ultra-compact for climbing mountains?
Oct 27, 2012

Hey there. I am an alpine climber who takes a lot of photos on technical alpine climbs, and am thinking of getting a new camera. For me it is critical that the camera is small and lightweight, so that I can pull it out of a small chest pocket and shoot one-handed (while holding on with the other hand).

Other features that are important to me:

-wide angle lens (equivalent to 24-28mm at it's widest), and I don't need a powerful zoom

-good auto-exposure and auto-focus. because I am shooting one-handed I am shooting almost always in full auto mode.

-obviously, a good lens and a good sensor. High performance in low-light conditions is not as important to me as crisp, high-resolution images in bright conditions.

Basically, I want the highest-quality as can be fit into a shirt-pocket camera!

A few years ago dpreview ran a "holiday review of ultra-compacts," which was very useful. I bought a Panasonic FX37 based on that review, and have been very happy with it. Since then I have also bought a Canon ELPH 300HS, and it is good also - I feel that the Panasonic performs better in some conditions, and the Canon better in others.

I also bought a Canon S90 a couple years ago, and have been pleased with it, although it is bulkier and heavier than I would like.

So, does anyone have recommendations of a point-and-shoot that takes great photos on auto settings, and is ultra-compact? The heaviest/bulkiest camera I would consider is the Canon S100, so what out there is smaller and lighter!? It seems all the recent dpreview reviews are of cameras heavier than the S100.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX37
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow