Amidst all of the K-5 II and IIs excitement I decided to opt for the K-5...... Very pleased so far.

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
MikeFreeze
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
Re: I decided to opt for the K-5...... Very pleased so far.
In reply to sgtsween, Oct 27, 2012

Ditto.  I have had mine a bit over a month, so far so good.  I haven't had time to become intimately familiar with it yet, but I can make the following comments;

1.) I have had no problems.

2.) I bought the kit 18-55 Wr lens and have had the combo out in some significant drizzles - it functions fine, no issues at all, I LOVE the WR aspects of the cam/lens.

3.) In keeping my kit WR, I have purchased the 100 macro WR as well.  Very happy with the macro capability, have also had it out in the rain with no issues.

4.) The high ISO performance of the K5 is as good as they say - I initially limited my auto-ISO shots to a high range of 1600, but they were so good I have moved the max setting to 3200 - and I still get a high percentage of keepers at 3200.

5.) Certainly for an average shooter, the AF performance is fine.  I haven't yet tested it for extreme action shots - but that's not my usual thing anyway.

6.) Like all digital equipment these days (including my latest cell phone, Samsung Galaxy SIII) the learning curve involves a significant effort - especially so if you intend to move away form the automated settings and be a photographer.

The more I use the K5, the more I learn about it, the happier I have become.  And it doesn't hurt that I picked it up at the bottom price of its market cycle either!  I  need a good wide angle lens, and I need a tele.  Pentax makes WR tele options, but not so in the 15mm range that I want.  I may eventually opt for the 15mm Limited, but it's not WR and it's relatively slow for my wide-angle tastes.  Oh well - I am very happy with my kit so far.  Frankly, I'm blown away by how good the K5 sensor still is even when compared to the newer generation of canikon offerings.  I shoot Canon for film (EOS 3, and others), but I wanted an APS-C sensor for digital - and Canon doesn't compete well with Pentax in the APS-C sensor cameras.  Good luck with your purchase, you will love it

Mike Freeze

Retired "G" Man

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow