Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,499Gear list
Like?
Fast and precise autofocus and great color
Oct 27, 2012

Today I got the chance to take some pictures with the A99 and a Sony G 70-200 mm f:2.8 zoom lens. The light was low so I pushed up the ISO more than I normally would do with the A77. First priority was to check continious autofocus, which seems to be very fast and reliable even if this lens doesn't yet can take benefit of the on-sensor AF points. I did only use center group AF points, which works very well with the A77. Seems to work even better with the A99!

Also the viewfinder is better in low light than the A77 EVF. This might be due to the fact that the image sensor is twice as big and gain twice as much light, and also that other improvements have been made. The A99 EVF doesn't for sure look as grainy as the A77 EVF in very low light.

Color and tonal range seems to be great at high ISO settings, at least up to ISO 6400 which is the highest I have tried with ths camera for real life photography. The pictures are well saturated with rich tonality and smooth transitions for color and tone scale. The files work very well with Lightroom and is easier to post process than the A77 files. Shadow areas can aslo be brightened pretty much without generating too much noise. Gone is also the harsh look of the A77 noise when pixel peeping. For sure, image quality will please those upgrading from the A850/A900 and even more those who already are using the A77 and want to go full frame. That said, the A77 is very capable, but this camera is just so much better at high ISO settings.

The weather forcast says less rain and snow tomorrow, and the Basler Herbstmesse will go on for a week, so there should be plenty of great subjects waiting for my A99.

Here are some from just a quick test today:

A99, G 70-200 mm at 150 mm, 1/500 sec at f:4, ISO 3200

A99, G 70-200 mm at 200 mm, 1/250 sec at f:4, ISO 3200

Fast moving fun! A99, G 70-200 mm at 150 mm, 1/1000 sec at f:4, ISO 3200

Waiting for the tram. A99, G 70-200 mm at 200 mm, 1/250 sec at f:5.6, ISO 2000

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow