Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
LiquidSilver
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
TheIt equalizes all
In reply to DoctorJerry, Oct 27, 2012

DoctorJerry wrote:

LiquidSilver wrote:

On m4/3, it has about the same DOF of the 35mm f1.8 on the NEX, and it also equalize the theoretical noise advantage of Sony APS-C.

If you want to do an equivalence between APS-C and m4/3, simply multiply m4/3 focal and f number for 1.3. If you do it, you equalize even the sensor sizes.

Hey guys, there are really 3 things that effect the image, the lens, the sensor, and the image processor built into the camera. I could make a case for a 4th thing, and that is the 6 inches behind the camera, the guy or gal taking the pictures. I have yet to see a m4/3 sensor match the NEX 5N, the OM comes close but still not quite there.

I agree , you are right, except for the fact that newer m4/3 bodies, using what is supposed to be a Sony sensor, have performances equal to the sensor on the NEX minus the area gap. (2/3 of a stop).

The superiority of Sony sensor tech over previous gen m4/3 was beyond the area gap.

JPEG engine is a matter of tastes, and it is great we have a lot of choices now.

Equalizing the sensor size does nothing for the difference in pixel size and noise resistance. Bigger pixels are just more resistant to noise. And in the class of cameras we are discussing, it is not a problem until ISO 1600 or so and then the NR programs kick in and detail starts to suffer.

The "total equivalence" covers even the noise of the sensor: by using the PanaLeica 25 f1.4 one can shot at lover ISO than using 35mm f1.8.

The equivalence between format at the end is an equivalence between the aperture of the lenses - the total light you get on the sensor.

Sensor size is not an advantage itself, it just requires bigger aperture at the same FOV and f number, so more total light enter to the sensor.

At the same DOF, even the noise is equalized, because what you do is equalizing the apertures.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow