ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
amateurphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 218
Like?
Gitzo GT2452T Tripod for travelling.
Oct 27, 2012

Hi Folks,

Some people have been asking for a review on the 4 section 2 series  Gitzo GT2542T.  The product spec is given below.  I also include a YouTube posting which is the GT2542T with ball head and renamed GK2580 TQR.

http://www.gitzo.com/product/0/GT2542T/_/Traveler_Ser.2,_carbon_fiber,4_sections,_no_head,_noir_d%26%23233%3Bcor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdqR7NhMg3k

Max height 143.5cm

Height with column down 119cm

Closed length 43cm.

In terms of spec, other details not given are:-

1) when folded the three legs form an isoceles triange with each side length being around 10cm.   This is with no ballhead attached when folded.

2)  The largest section has a diameter of around 30mm. Smallest leg around 18mm  (in comparison my Series 1 GK1580TQR traveller 5 section the smallest leg is around 7mm diameter!

3) The round disk which you attach a ballhead to is 5cm diameter. To take this part off you need a small allen key.

Why did I buy this tripod:

1) Fits into my trolley bag - lowe pro AW450 (internal 43cm long), thus can carry onto a plane as hand-luggage.  I often do day photoshoots so it is important for me to save time and not waste time waiting for any luggage to come out of the hold.  This tripod just about fits inside AW450 to the extreme left or rightside inside the case, the shortest  part of the case.

2) I have a GK 1580TGR5 5 section traveller. Is super small , folds to 36cm long. My problem was working in shopping malls with slippery floor. The 4 and 5 legs are two spindley and bent out like 'bambi' legs. So I went for a more rigid system. Didn't get the 4 legs series 1 traveller as too close to the 5 section which I have kept.

3) GT2542T has a super capacity of 12kg, 4 sections and the legs are damn rigid. Just half a twist and the legs unlock.  Also the end caps can be changed. I may swap them for the "Big Foot" to increase fricton on slippery surfaces.

4) Its only slightly heavier than my 1 series 5 legs traveller.   1.33kg as oppose to 1.16kg. Difference in weight is insignificant.

5)  I am 5"4, 1.63m so the height of this tripod is find for me. When I have my camera D800 mounted on a ballhead at max height I am on tip toes.

6) Would love a slightly longer centre columns to get shots over balconys. The centre column is around 35cm long.

Useage

The YouTube vid shows it in use.

In terms of feel, the legs pull out to position smoothly and the centre columns moves up and down smoothly.  Just a small twist and the legs and column are locked solid.

At the top the each leg, there is a hinge which makes a clicking noise to tell you it is in its correct position. There are two positions for its legs, 20 degrees and 70 degrees measured from the horizontal.  To disengage its position, there is a plastic slider. Hard to explain:)

I use this tripod with RRS BH-40, a perfect fit for this tripod.

The tripod feels and oozes quality, and is very well constructed and importantly rigid, even when using a D4 + 70-200.

One thing I would suggest is take the allen key with you incase one of the leg hinges need tightening which my 5 section 1 series traveller has needed this to be done.

Price wise HKD 5300 in Hong Kong.

Comes with gitzo cloth bag. Allen keys, tube of grease.

Has a hook at the end of the centre column for adding weights for extra stability.

With the ballhead the price difference was only like HKD1500. The cheapest separate gitzo head is around HKD2000, so only slight saving, but has a weight capacity of 7kg.  I have a RSS so didnt feel I would use the kit ballhead.  The GT2542T can fold down without the RSS BH40 protruding, you need to fiddle its position to make it work. I suppose then that is the advantage of not a longer centre column.

Don't have much else to say besides it squeezes into my airport hand luggage low pro AW450, its rock solid and oozes quality, will likely to last a very long time.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers

Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow