ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,252Gear list
Like?
GH3 same Sony sensor as E-M5?
Oct 27, 2012

http://www.43rumors.com/gh3-field-report-by-luminous-landscape/

"I did some side-by-side shooting with the two cameras, and while there is a slightly different look to the files, it’s de-minimis. I wouldn’t chose one over the other for its stills quality. (Though the GH3′s video quality is far superior to that of the Olympus)."

I find this significant.  For Panasonic to move away from their own sensors in their flagship camera would really nail down the superiority of the Sony sensor and also allow them to compete head-to-head with stills quality of cameras like the E-M5 and even the K5 and D7000.  That the video is assuredly class leading and in a fully weather-sealed body with a decent grip for larger lenses makes it a compelling camera.  And bring on the hackers to improve it further.

But now we have one excellent camera that's a bit too small for my tastes (E-M5 with scrunched together buttons and feeble grip) and the GH3 (same size as many DSLR's, the very thing many of us were trying to get away from).

Seems there's a market for a "right-sized" full-featured mFT body (same sensor, decent grip, adequate space between buttons, articulated OLED, built-in flash, EVF) at an affordable price. Sleek, slim and lighter contemporary design priced around, say, $750 body-only.  Maybe throw in the 12-50mm for an additional $150 (all its worth).

It would be amusing if this turned out to be Olympus' "consumer grade" version of the E-M5  sans weather-sealing (and associated sticky-buttons).

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow