The Nikon 1 system now has three fast primes and DX still has only one...

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
digitallollygag
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Re: The Nikon 1 system now has three fast primes and DX still has only one...
In reply to Retzius, Oct 27, 2012

Another possible thread: "Nikon now has three new full-frame bodies and no compelling new DX bodies..."  I think many Nikon DX users are frustrated at all the attention Nikon has given full-frame (D600, D800, D800E) at the top end, along with Nikon 1 at the bottom end.  I went into a rant with my brother (a Canon user) over this just yesterday.  He then reminded me how poor the EF-S lens selection is for Rebel cameras.

I frankly do not understand Nikon's reasoning with ever bringing the 1 System to the marketplace, as I see the m4/3 offerings from Olympus and Panasonic as vastly superior.  My first thought when I read about the three new primes for Nikon 1, and nothing new for DX was similar to the OP's reaction.

I think my only advice for anyone thinking about jumping the Nikon DX ship for something else is this: don't act out in haste.  Sit tight, think about your options.  Make a plan about your gear options based on your specific needs and shooting styles, among other things.  Then implement your plan.

My plan, once I got over my rant: I'll shoot with the old D80 a little longer while watching what Nikon does (or doesn't do) with DX next year.  I'll discontinue buying ANY DX lenses, but buy only FX lenses.  This gives me the flexibility to enjoy the FX glass on the next DX body (if I stay with DX) or on an FX body if I upgrade.  I just got a nifty 50 1.8G today.  I might even spring for the 28 1.8G and 85 1.8G.  There will be no 35 1.8G in my collection since that is a DX, and there definitely won't be a 17-55 2.8!

Some of the most gifted film photographers shot with a lot less than we have today and they didn't complain the way I do.  They instead made masterpieces with crappy cameras and crappier lenses.  Make the most of what you have and enjoy photography.  Let's not worry too much about what Nikon is or isn't doing.

digitallollygag's gear list:digitallollygag's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D100 Olympus E-410 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow